The Bishops have invited every ministry unit to support the next phase of our movement’s action on climate change.
We aim to collect 500 submissions from all of us, from all over the diocese. On the 16th of June, over 40 of our churches welcomed over 70 young presenters to introduce the Zero Carbon bill and to explain why climate change is such a crucial issue for our young generations. Afterwards, our church family were invited to make personal submissions to Parliament on the bill.
You can still submit – submissions close on the 16th July 2019.
At time of writing, we’ve made over 350 submissions – and there are still more to come in. But there’s still time to submit if you aren’t one of those people. Here’s how to do it:
- Watch this explanatory video from Kate and Elise, our advocacy team.
- Read the submission guidelines here, to make sure your voice counts.
- Submit online at parliament.nz/zerocarbon – scroll all the way to the bottom and click “make a submission” OR use this paper form and post it to:
Environment Select Committee (Zero Carbon Bill submissions)
Level 10, Bowen House
- Kids are welcome to make submissions as well. They can be written, drawings, poems or anything else, but require their name and region written onto them. You may like to use this template.
- If you’d like to encourage your church to take part, access all the resources used on Climate Mission Sunday below.
If you’d still like to publicise Our Climate Mission in your ministry unit, you can!
- Tell your parishioners ahead of time. You can use the following resources:
- Set aside ten minutes in one of your services to show a short video which we will provide (via Dropbox or YouTube);
- Make sure your service leader has confirmed your time in the service, and that the video is available to play.
- Ask a few young (or young-at-heart!) Anglicans in your church community to speak briefly about why this matters. Their job is to:
- Create a space after the service for parishioners to write a submission if they choose.
Share briefly why climate change matters to them personally, then introduce the 6-minute explanatory video.
If possible – count the number of people who submit online.
- They may like to use the speakers’ notes here.
- You may also want to show Bishop Eleanor’s sermon on climate change (28 mins), accessible on our YouTube channel or by downloading from Dropbox here.
- Print out the submission forms – double-sided, and the children’s submission forms as well.
- Set up laptops with the submission website open in case people want to submit online.
- You will need to check in advance whether the church has wifi, and that your laptops can connect.
- Then return all paper submission forms (including the children’s ones), and send them to Kate before the 10th of July:
Kate Day, Advocacy Enabler
PO Box 12046
- Or send them directly to the Select Committee before the 16th of July:
Level 10, Bowen House
- And then tell Kate how many you received, both online and in paper form.