The Grief Centre is offering a number of professional development workshops in the next few months, with a mixture of new topics and repeats of some of their most popular workshops.
Tricia Hendry is once again going to present these workshops on behalf on the Grief Centre. Tricia is well-known as a grief, trauma, and resilience specialist, a published author, and a workshop presenter. Her presentations are engaging, informative, and interactive.
To get the New Year off to a good start, they will be running their popular self-care workshop “When Helping Others Hurts” in March. Those wishing to attend are invited to complete the attached registration form. They are also running a brand new workshop entitled “Getting to Grips with Grief” on the 5th of March in Wellington: explore helpful grief models and theories developed through the years to better understand the nature of grief, understand where has research got to now, and what researchers can tell us to equip us to effectively support those grieving. A workshop on grief theory with a very practical twist!
By looking at how traditional theories and perspectives on grief have changed and developed through the years, this half day workshop will equip helping professionals and support volunteers with a research-based understanding of grief as a dynamic process. It will also explore how theoretical models, current thinking, an understanding of diversity, and the use of clear and mindful language can assist in their grief support practice.
It will cover:
- Why grief theory matters – Why bother with research?
- A helpful overview of the development of grief theory and grief models by key researchers over the last 100 years – Where are we at now?
- The debate over the new concept of ‘Complicated Grief’
- The contribution of research into diverse cultural and religious perspectives on grief
- Contemporary directions in grief theory, research, and practice
- What does research say about grief counselling and support groups?
- New Zealand research contributions
- Where are the research gaps?
- Using models of grief to enhance your grief support practice
- Using clear language and helpful metaphors to assist grief understanding, for all ages
- Grief resources available in NZ
- Why professional self-care is imperative when working in the grief support arena.
Dates for your Diaries…
Monday 5th March – Getting to Grips with Grief – 1pm-4.30pm
Tuesday 6th March – When Helping Others Hurts – 9.30am-1pm
Venue: All Saints Church Conference Centre, 90 Hamilton Road, Hataitai, Wellington 6021 Cost: $95 plus GST per workshop
Booking is easy, but places are limited at each workshop, so please ensure you book as soon as possible. To register fill in the enclosed registration form and email back to email@example.com or phone 09 418 1457. The Grief Centre is busy working on some very exciting plans for 2018 and will email details as soon as they are available.