Here is what is happening at your Cathedral for Holy Week and Easter worship.
Since the earliest days of the faith as it spread far beyond Palestine, Christians have gathered for special acts of worship in Holy Week. Together we recall through prayer, scripture, music and symbol, the last week of Jesus’ life, his suffering, death and resurrection.
Palm Sunday Sunday 9th April
- 8am Said Eucharist in the Lady Chapel
- 10am Choral Eucharist sung by the Cathedral Choir and Choristers. With a procession featuring Chippy the donkey. Reading of the Passion Gospel according to Matthew.
- 5pm Choral Evensong sung by the Cathedral Choir. Preacher: Rev Dr Joe McGarry Theme: ‘I am the true vine’ (John 15:1), continuing our series on Jesus ‘I am’ sayings.
Daily services from Monday 10th April until Thursday 13th April
- 7.30am and 12.15pm Said Eucharist in the Lady Chapel
- 8.30am Morning Prayer
- 5.30pm Evening Prayer
Wednesday 12th April: Chrism Service at 7pm
Maundy Thursday 13th April
- 7.30pm Eucharist of the Last Supper with the Washing of Feet and Stripping of the Sanctuary sung by the Cathedral Choir and Choristers.
An atmospheric service, recounting Jesus’ command to his disciples to “love one another as I have loved you” after he washes their feet and shares the Last Supper with them. All who worship are invited to have their feet washed. The service concludes with the symbolic stripping of the sanctuary and a procession out in silence.
Good Friday 14th April
- 10am Good Friday Liturgy
A deeply moving and powerful act of worship at the foot of the Cross, sung by the Cathedral Choir.
- 2pm Family Service
We explore together the last days of Jesus’ life, in an interactive act of worship, finishing together at the foot of the cross.
Easter Sunday 16th April
- 7am Easter Vigil, Lighting of the Easter Fire and Eucharist, followed by Breakfast.
At sunrise, we experience the first service of Easter, beginning outside the Cathedral with the kindling of the ‘new fire’ and lighting of the Easter candle, which we follow into the darkened building. We light our candles from the Easter candle and the Exsultet, the ancient hymn of praise, is sung. We welcome the resurrection of Jesus noisily (bring a bell or party popper!), and we renew our baptismal vows. After the Eucharist all are invited to enjoy breakfast. Please email the Cathedral office to sign up.
- 10am Festal Choral Eucharist sung by the Cathedral Choir. Preacher: The Very Reverend Digby Wilkinson, Dean
A joyful celebration of Jesus’ resurrection from the dead. An Easter egg hunt for children follows the service.
- 5pm Festal Choral Evensong sung by the Cathedral Choir.