Bishop Andrew Hedge is looking to appoint a priest as Vicar of the Parish of Otumoetai, Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty. Otumoetai is a suburb of Tauranga City, on the north-western peninsula of the city looking out toward Tauranga Harbour, Mt Maunganui and Matakana Island.
The parish has one worship centre, St John’s Church, which is a well-maintained plant offering flexibility in the worship space and includes several meeting areas, offices and a hall in one integrated building. The parish operates the “Oasis Op Shop and Drop-in Centre” in the set of shops adjacent to the church. The ministry of the parish includes Messy Church, three playgroups, a Toy Library, pastoral care team and a wide range of parish and other community-facing activities. It has served the local community since the early 1950’s and continues to do so in this fast-growing part of New Zealand. The parish does not own a vicarage so instead a housing allowance or rental accommodation will be provided within the parish for the successful applicant.
The person the parish seeks for this role as Vicar needs to:
- be energetic
- have proven leadership skills with a willingness to develop a team
- be a good communicator, enabler and encourager, with the ability to think and work laterally
- be an encourager of ministry to and with children and young people and their families
- be supportive of Messy Church in the parish
- have a strong liturgical grounding able to provide for traditional and a contemporary worship
- be able to engage with a wide range of music styles
- encourage the parish in its engagement with its wider community
- be able to show genuine interest in people and the life of the parish
- have an open theological perspective
- be a warm and friendly personality.
For expressions of interest please contact in the first instance Colleen Marriott (Office Manager, Diocese of Waiapu) firstname.lastname@example.org for a Parish Profile.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 21st November, 2018.